Are you a non European national wanting to reside and work in the Netherlands?

The Combined Permit

A Combined Permit for Residence and Work (Gecombineerde Vergunning voor Verblijf en Arbeid, GVVA) grants an employee from a country out with the European Union (third country) the right to stay and work in the Netherlands. An application for a combined permit for residence and work can be submitted when an employee works in a specified profession. It is possible that per profession rules differ regarding the requirement of a separate work permit (tewerkstellingsvergunning, TWV) or residence permit. A work permit (TWV) can only be applied for by an employer at the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV).

The specified professions

It is possible that there are special conditions per specified profession. The most common specified professions which employ such conditions are as follows:

  • Athlete
  • Spiritual counsellor and monk
  • Employee in the Asian catering industry
  • Employee in the arts and cultural sector
  • Employee of a non-profit organization.

Exceptions and special conditions

The combined permit for residence and work comes with many exceptions and special conditions. There are for example exceptions that apply to Turkish nationals and their family members, students, employees that are going to work in the Netherlands for less than 3 months, and seasonal workers that are going to work for more than 3 months. There is also the possibility of a labour market test (arbeidsmarkttoets) when an employer wants to employ a third country national who does not fit one of the specified professions.

Applying for a combined permit for residence and work is a complex procedure. Mistakes are easily made which may have grave consequences. It is recommended that you hire an immigration lawyer to ensure that your application is completed with the utmost care and precision.

A lawyer doesn’t have to be expensive!

This will be apparent from the price indications that you will receive from various lawyers.
You may also be eligible for a government reimbursement that provides for the costs of legal aid. Do not hesitate to contact us if you need any advice, or simply visit to register your case.

Do you need a lawyer?

Contact us via telephone for free

(212 people have asked questions on this subject)

Direct juridische hulp?

Vul het contactformulier in, dan neemt een gespecialiseerde advocaat gauw contact met je op.

Zelf bellen kan natuurlijk ook, wij zijn bereikbaar via 085 – 5000 202.

Klanten beoordelen Lawspot gemiddeld met een 9,3

Zo gemakkelijk werkt Lawspot

1. Plaats een zaak

Plaats jouw juridische probleem door enkele simpele vragen te beantwoorden.

2. Advocaat gekoppeld

Er wordt automatisch een advocaat aan je gekoppeld, voor het beste resultaat.

In dire need of a lawyer specialised in immigration law? will help you find a good lawyer. The lawyers in our network are all certified and your private information will be handled in a strictly confidential manner. Using is free and without charge. Register your case today at and find the lawyer that will give you the best advice.



Independent platform is an independent platform. We don’t have any interest in which lawyer you eventually decide to choose. This makes us unique!


Comparing immigration lawyers for free

Compare reactions from lawyers which are directed at your legal problem, free of charge. That way you’re able to choose the lawyer who will be best for you.


Trustworthy and safe

Your private information will be handled in a strictly confidential manner. The logged case is anonymous and will be securely saved.


Easily and quickly

A legal problem will be registered at in a matter of seconds. Within a few clicks you’ll receive reactions from certified lawyers.


Free of charge

Even after choosing a lawyer, you won’t be bound to any contract. Using is free of charge.



Your registered case is anonymous. We don’t share your contact details with the lawyers until you have made your choice.

Are you looking for an affordable and trustworthy immigration lawyer?

Register your case for free!

Would you like more information?


Bel nu