Do you want to apply for a residence permit?

A residence permit

If you come from outside the EU or European Economic Area and want to live and work in the Netherlands for more than three months, you must apply for a residence permit via the Toegang- en Verblijfprocedure’ (TEV) procedure. From the outset, you must have valid reasons for wanting to live in the Netherlands, for example marriage, family reunification or employment. It is important that you choose the purpose that best fits your situation as this will influence which permit application you submit.

Entry and residence procedure

Applying for a residence permit is no easy task. First, you must meet the following conditions before filing your residence permit application to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND):

  • You must have a valid provisional residence permit (MMV- Machtiging tot Voorlopig)
  • You must have a valid passport or an identity card which allows you to cross borders
  • You must demonstrate that you can provide for yourself
  • You must comply with your reason(s) for staying

If you meet the above requirements you can then send your application to the IND. When doing so, you must provide as many documents as possible to back up your reason(s) for staying in the Netherlands. Provide, for example, a certificate of registration for the university you will be attending, or an employment contract with a reference from someone at the company you will be working for. The IND will reply to your application within ninety days. If your application has been approved, you will receive a residence permit that will be valid for one year. After five years you will be able to apply for a permanent residence permit.

It is recommended that you hire an immigration lawyer to help you with the application procedure. A lawyer can also help you state your reason(s) for staying in the Netherlands and translate if necessary.

A lawyer doesn’t have to be expensive!

This will be apparent from the price indications that you will receive from various lawyers. You may also be eligible for a government reimbursement that provides for the costs of legal aid. Do not hesitate to contact us if you need any advice, or visit to register your case.

Do you need a lawyer?

Contact us via telephone for free

(241 people have asked questions on this subject)

Direct juridische hulp?

Vul het contactformulier in, dan neemt een gespecialiseerde advocaat gauw contact met je op.

Zelf bellen kan natuurlijk ook, wij zijn bereikbaar via 085 – 5000 202.

Klanten beoordelen Lawspot gemiddeld met een 9,3

Zo gemakkelijk werkt Lawspot

1. Plaats een zaak

Plaats jouw juridische probleem door enkele simpele vragen te beantwoorden.

2. Advocaat gekoppeld

Er wordt automatisch een advocaat aan je gekoppeld, voor het beste resultaat.

In dire need of a lawyer specialised in immigration law? will help you find a good lawyer. The lawyers in our network are all certified and your private information will be handled in a strictly confidential manner. Using is free and without charge. Register your case today at and find the lawyer that will give you the best advice.



Independent platform is an independent platform. We don’t have any interest in which lawyer you eventually decide to choose. This makes us unique!


Comparing immigration lawyers for free

Compare reactions from lawyers which are directed at your legal problem, free of charge. That way you’re able to choose the lawyer who will be best for you.


Trustworthy and safe

Your private information will be handled in a strictly confidential manner. The logged case is anonymous and will be securely saved.


Easily and quickly

A legal problem will be registered at in a matter of seconds. Within a few clicks you’ll receive reactions from certified lawyers.


Free of charge

Even after choosing a lawyer, you won’t be bound to any contract. Using is free of charge.



Your registered case is anonymous. We don’t share your contact details with the lawyers until you have made your choice.

Are you looking for an affordable and trustworthy immigration lawyer?

Register your case for free!

Would you like more information?


Bel nu